Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unplugging From the Matrix

Welcome to my blog.  This blog evolved organically out some links and posts I make on my Facebook account over the past year, and I've reached the point where I think it deserves its own page.  And who am I?  I'm just a guy trying to find his place in the world.  I've dealt with severe mental illness and the consequences of abuse for most of my life, but in the past year I've started a long recovery.  In the course of it all, I've had a lot of sleepless nights and long days where I've been left wondering "what makes something real?"  What is the truth?  Is the truth nothing more than a subjective matter of perspective, or is it something more?  Through politics, science, philosophy, religion, and my own memories, that's what I want to find out.

I live in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, a small seaside city whose streets I walk nearly every night -- partly for exercise, partly to meditate.  I'm a practicing Buddhist, an unabashed and unapologetic optimist, but also a realist, and I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.  I believe in reason as the cure for fear, curiosity as the cure for ignorance, and learning as the meaning of life.

So here I am.  I guess the best thing to do is to just start posting, so here we go.  Glad to have you along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment